The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.1 people. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88 males.
In the city, the population was spread out with 28.8% under the age of 19, 6.7% from 20 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 23.8% from 45 to 64, and 15.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median income for a household in the city was ,701, and the median income for a family was ,802. Its Texas Eagle train stops in Mineola, 36 miles (58 km) south of Sulphur Springs, with daily service to San Antonio and Chicago, and thrice-weekly service to Los Angeles.
Sulphur Springs is considered to be part of the humid subtropical area.
of 2010, there were 15,449 people, 5,959 households, and 3,987 families residing in the city.
The industry began to shrink largely because of declining milk prices, higher labor costs, and large corporations operating industrial-scale dairies.
Large industries in the area today include Pinnacle, Ocean Spray, Grocery Supply, Jeld-Wen, Clayton Home Mfg., Flowserve, and others.
Texas State Highway 19 runs through the western side of Sulphur Springs, leading north 37 miles (60 km) to Paris and southwest 44 miles (71 km) to Canton.
Sulphur Springs is at the center of Hopkins County, roughly halfway between Dallas and Texarkana.
In 1868, federal troops moved into Sulphur Springs and occupied the city for a period of two years during Reconstruction, in an effort to protect freedmen after emancipation. The construction of a railroad line from Mineola, Texas, in 1872 stimulated growth in the city.
Upon their departure and the end of the military occupation, A. Settlers were drawn by tales of the healing powers of the city's sulphur baths.
Due to population growth, the springs of sulphur were gradually covered. A rail was run from Jefferson to Sulphur Springs in 1879. Louis, Arkansas & Texas Railroad (Cotton Belt) was built through Sulphur Springs in 1887 on its way to Commerce and Sherman.
The next year the line was completed to Fort Worth, connecting the city to a major market. The city's courthouse, which is still used today, was constructed in 1895.
Texas State Highway 154 runs through the center of Sulphur Springs as Gilmer Street and Church Street, leading north 21 miles (34 km) to Cooper and south 27 miles (43 km) to Quitman.