For purposes of electing MP's to the Parliament of the United Kingdom Penrith lies within the constituency of Penrith and The Border which since 2010 has been represented in Parliament by Conservative member Rory Stewart.Penrith has 3 levels of local government – county, district and parish (town).Penrith South: Wetheriggs, Castle Hill, a small part of the town centre, part of Eamont Bridge and part of the Bridge Lane/Victoria Road area.Penrith East: part of the town centre, Scaws, Carleton Park and Barco Penrith Carleton (formerly part of Penrith East): Carleton Village, High Carleton, Carleton Heights, Carleton Hall Gardens Penrith Pategill (also formerly part of Penrith East): Pategill, Carleton Drive/Place, Tynefield Drive/Court and part of Eamont Bridge.A civil parish of Penrith was first formed in 1866 between 18 the Urban District council acted as the parish council but on the abolition of the UDC its successor authority Eden District Council decided that Penrith would become an unparished area under the district council's direct control.
In the 1920s Penrith Castle came into the possession of the council.
The grounds were turned into a public park, and Castle Hill or Tyne Close Housing Estate was built nearby.
Further pre-war council housing was built at Fair Hill and Castletown and after World War II at Scaws, Townhead and Pategill The district was surrounded on three sides by the Penrith Rural District; the southern boundary, marked by the River Eamont, was with Westmorland.
Historically a part of Cumberland, Penrith's local authority is currently Eden District Council, which is based in the town.
Penrith was formerly the seat of both Penrith Urban and Rural District Councils.
The authority's area was coterminous with the civil parish of Penrith although when the council was abolished Penrith became an unparished area.