The present case iron fence along Congress St was erected in 1918, salvaged from the original Portland High School.
Religious, civic and business leaders who shaped the social, cultural and economic development of the City are buried here.
Eastern Cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and has been designated a historic cemetery by the City of Portland.
The land which became Western Cemetery was purchased by the city in 1829. more land was added, bringing the total land area of the cemetery to its present 12 acres.Today there are lovely gardens, a product of annual planting parties, two benches for enjoying the peace and tranquility of the site, and walking trails and the old tracks from the Grand Trunk Railroad.A kiosk with a graphic depiction holds a map and the surviving names of the souls interred.There is pedestrian access only beyond the cemetery gate and the ground is uneven.The resting place of Portland's earliest settlers, Eastern Cemetery was declared a public "burying ground" in 1668 and remained active until the 1860's.Installation of a water line by the City in 2014 significantly improved the group's ability to clean, conserve and repair gravestones and monuments. fencing and renovation of the Dead House were completed in 2015-2016.